THE BRENNAN FAMILY HISTORY WEBSITE
Kavanagh Family History
Kavanagh Family History
of Kildare & Carlow
Descendants of John Kavanagh.
Information on John Kavanagh & Mary Anne Moran was taken from the 1901 & 1911 Census of Ireland.
1. John KAVANAGH was born in 1841 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare. He married Mary Anne Moran in 1885. She was born in 1851 in Co Kildare. John died c.1912 (source Joan Kavanagh 2018)
John Kavanagh may have had the following Kavanagh relations living in the following locations according to the 1901 & 1911 census of Ireland:
John Kavanagh and Mary Anne Moran had the following children:
1. James KAVANAGH was born in 1887 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
2. Thomas KAVANAGH was born in 1890 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
3. Lawrence KAVANAGH was born in 1891 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
4. John KAVANAGH was born in 1892 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
5. Joseph KAVANAGH was born in 1893 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
6. Catherine KATIE KAVANAGH was born in 1894 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
7. Michael KAVANAGH was born in 1897 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
8. Patrick (Paddy) KAVANAGH was born on 29 Oct 1899 in Killelan Carrigeen, Kildare (1901 Census) near Belan, Moone, Co Kildare. He died on 19 Mar 1973 in Sacred Heart Home, Carlow. He married Christina (Crissie) Brennan (daughter of Thomas (Tom) Brennan and Mary Anne Moran) in 1935 in Sacred Heart Church, Arles, Co Laois. She was born on 23 Dec 1912. She died on 23 Oct 1974 in Carlow District Hospital, Dublin Rd, Carlow.
9.Lawrence KAVANAGH was born in 1901 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
10. Mary Anne KAVANAGH was born in 1907 in Killelan, Carrigeen Co Kildare.
11. Andrew KAVANAGH was born Date ???? in Killelan, Moone Co Kildare. He died on 20 Oct 1958 in Naas District Hospital, Co Kildare. Buried in Moone cemetery on Wednesday 22nd October 1958
Kavanagh's of Bestfield. Carlow
aka Paddy Kavanagh
He had white hair and was very tall and well built. He drank his tea from a half pint white mug.
He had a number of jobs which included Tree Felling and a Farm Labourer. He also worked in the Carlow Sugar Beet Factory.
He went to England in the 1920's and ended up joining one of the many Hunger Marchers which took place between 1920's and 1930's most of them ending up in London It is alleged that he received a severe blow to the head while he was in England.
He remembered been held on his father’s shoulders to watch a famous rally in Ireland. (Details unknown)
He was a member of the 5th Battalion, Carlow. (old I R A). Their Headquarters were part of Carlow Workman's Club in Brown Street in Carlow town.
He came from a large farming family who grew up in County Kildare.
He is buried in St Mary's Cemetery, Carlow.
Notes for Christina (Crissie) Brennan:
Patrick (Paddy) KAVANAGH and Christina (Crissie) Brennan had the following children:
Philomena KAVANAGH was born on 13 Feb 1935 in Dublin Rd, Carlow. She died on 07 Jun 2000 in Carlow, Ireland. Philomena married Michael Hoey from Newry, Co Down, NI.
Patricia (Trish) KAVANAGH was born on 08 Mar 1936 in Dublin Rd, Carlow. She died on 27 Oct 2015 in Waterford University Hospital. Burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery Carlow. She did not marry
Notes for Patricia Kavanagh:
John KAVANAGH was born on 31 Jul 1937 in Dublin Rd, Carlow. Died 10th June 2003. He did not marry. Burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery Carlow. He did not marry.
Patrick KAVANAGH was born on 28 Nov 1938 in 14 Bestfield, Athy Rd, Carlow. Died Monday 15th February 2016. He did not marry. Burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery Carlow. He did not marry.
Notes for Patrick Kavanagh:
Paul KAVANAGH was born on 28 Apr 1939 in 14
Bestfield, Athy Rd, Carlow. He died on 21 Feb 2015 in Carlow, Ireland.
Burial in St. Mary’s Cemetery Carlow. Paul Kavanagh did not marry
Paul Kavanagh did not marry
Teresa KAVANAGH was born on 04 Oct 1940 in 14 Bestfield, Athy Rd, Carlow. She married Liam O'Brian from Dublin on 26 Aug 1983 in Killeshin Church. He was born in Dublin on Date ????.
She married Jimmy
Ballylinan, Co Laois.
She married Jimmy DELANY from Shadogue, Ballylinan, Co Laois.He died 2008.
Having checked the OSi map #16 Kildare - Wicklow and the whereabouts of the 7 locations where the Kavanaghs were born or were living according to the 1901 Census of Ireland. The locations, which are all identified and underlined with a red line, are all within a radius of about 6 to 7 miles south and south east of the town of Moone in the county of Kildare.
I have scanned the section of the map mentioned above.
The 7 locations are:
Please report any faults on the page to firstname.lastname@example.org