- A Topographical Dictionary
- of Ireland
by Samuel Lewis 1837
parish, in the barony and county of
Carlow, and province of Leinster, 4½ miles (S.) from Carlow, on the
road to Bagenalstown: containing 711 inhabitants. It comprises 3102
statue acres, as applotted under the Tithe Act, and valued at £2458
per annum. Garryhunden, the seat of Sir R. Butler, Bart, is situated
on the townland of that name, which, by inquisition of Jas. 1., in
1607. was found to be in the possession of Theobald, Lord Butler; and
by a similar inquisition, in 1623, the townlands of Ballybar and
Clonmulsh are recorded as having been held by Peter Carew, Baron of
The living is a rectory, in the diocese Leighlin, and
in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £330 15 4d. The
church is a small plain building, situated near the road. In the R.C.
divisions this parish is in the union or district of Leighlinbridge.
On the townland of Powerstown there is a school, in which about 30
children are taught, aided by an annual donation of £6, late currency
from the rector.