A Topographical Dictionary of
by Samuel Lewis 1837
BENDENSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of
FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.
W.) from Tullow, on the road to Leighlin; containing 567
inhabitants. Building stone is found, and there is some bog.
Prior to 1830 the parish formed part of the union of Aghade. The
living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the
patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £250. 0. 8. In the
R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also
called Ballon and Ratoe, comprising the parishes of
Gilbertstown, Ballon, Kellistown, Templepetre, Aghade, and parts
of Fennagh and Urglin, in which union are two chapels, situated
at Ballon and Ratoe. About 180 children are educated in a