Welcome to the IRL-KERRY Mailing List!
Save This Information!
The Kerry Mail List is a discussion email list for anyone who has an interest in family genealogy,
history or culture related to County Kerry.
Important Information About the Mail List
Please keep this message. I recommend that you keep a copy on file on your computer as well as a printed paper copy that you can find easily.
Read this message. Yes, it is long but there is a lot of important information here.
You may see some new terms and phrases here along with exacting instructions
about sending commands etc. You will get used to it soon enough -- don't
let it bother you. In order to make things work well you must follow instructions
- to the letter. If you leave something out of a command or put something
extra in, it won't work. This is because of the way computer programs work.
- Use the IRL-KERRY-L list for discussion of the history of
Kerry County, Ireland, and the genealogy of Kerry County families. Discussion
of migration patterns, folk lore, immigration, heraldry, historical sketches,
settlements, census data, wills, family Bibles, vital records, web sites,
books etc. as relates to Kerry and Kerry surnames is encouraged. Public
announcements of information of interest to Genealogists in general, though
not Kerry-specific, is permitted but please use discretion.
- Message format and attachments
- • Please submit messages only in plain text, and don't submit attachments.
Many of our subscribers are using software that cannot read attachments.
- • Use a helpful subject line like "John DOE d. 1800 in KER Co IRL",
rather than a generic one like "inquiry
about my family line". All postings are archived for future searching so relevant
subjects heading help your relatives find you.
- • Technically, RootsWeb has a "no commercial use" policy.
Like all RootsWeb policies, though, the last thing that we want is for policy
to get in the way of our doing genealogy. Therefore, the IRL-KERRY list will
accept brief announcements of books and other resource material for sale
that are specifically related to this county.
- • Don't include prices and ordering
info; just include a pointer to a URL, a commercial mailing list, or an e-mail
address where the complete ordering information can be found.
- • Please do not submit virus alerts, chain letters, or other
off-topic material to the list.
• Don't send copies of copyrighted material.
• Vulgarity and personal attacks on other list members are also unwelcome.
• Don't send messages exceeding 60 kilobytes in length.
someone else violates these rules, please do not send their message back to this
list in any reply! That just magnifies the problem, and defeats our anti-spam
defenses at Rootsweb.
• Do not impose any other list's rules or conditions, expressed or implied
elsewhere, upon this list. Rules of other forums may not necessarily apply
• Do not try to regulate this list. If you do not like the way someone
formats their queries or responses, or the content of their subject titles,
take it up with the Listowner/administrator, NOT in the list. The list is for
genealogy and history of Kerry and Ireland.
- Keep quoting to a minimum
- "Quoting" is repeating text of the
message you are replying to. Some quoting is necessary to remind other readers
what the thread is about but do try to use good judgement. Quoting the previous
writer's signature block or surname list is totally unnecessary.
Be sure to change the subject line of your message if it is different from that of the message you are replying to.
Some messages have multiple subjects.
A person may be requesting help in their search for their O'Connor and Moriarty families and have put that on the subject line. If you are replying on the Moriarty family only, change the subject line to reflect that.
When posting your query try to give as much information as you know, i.e.
dates and places of all vital events if known, along with enough other family
members so that the reader can positively identify if they are researching
the same family.
Post your query frequently, perhaps once a month, if you have not yet found
New people are joining the list all the time and they may
have the info you need.
Please send replies to the list, not just to the original poster unless the
information is just of use to that one person.
Other members may benefit
from the data that you provide. Unless its private or unrelated to the topic:
Kerry Genealogy, History or Culture.
How to Join the Irl-Kerry mailing list:
- There are two different "modes" or versions of mailing lists:
- • Regular mode: you receive each individual
posting. It is quicker this way, hot off the press so to speak.
• Digest mode "D": the individual postings are gathered together
in one mailing. You don't get the messages as fast, but you do get less
frequent emails. If you get too many emails as it is, you
might like this mode. Generally, Digests have a maximum of ten messages.
So if the list is very busy you occasionally might receive more than one Digest
message a day.
To subscribe to the Digest version, send an email to:
In the Subject Line and in the Message Body, use the word 'subscribe' without the quotes.
To subscribe to the Regular version, send an email to: IRL-KERRYemail@example.com
In the Subject Line and in the Message Body, use the word 'subscribe'
without the quotes.
How to Post a Message
Once you are subscribed to either the Full or Digest version, use this address to post your message to BOTH versions:
How to Unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the Regular version of the list, send an email to: IRL-KERRYfirstname.lastname@example.org
the Subject Line and in the Message Body, use the word 'unsubscribe' without
To unsubscribe from the Digest version of the list, send an email to IRL-KERRY-Demail@example.com
the Subject Line and in the Message Body, use the word 'unsubscribe' without
How to Write a Well Worded Query
- What is it you want to know?
- Choose the surname for your query... a person/family to focus on who you want the information on the most. Start with the information that you are seeking. Narrow your query down to a specific location or region if possible. If your query is for a very common the surname, try mentioning an area or you may get too many false leads. Narrow it down to a specific time frame if you can. Mention the religions if known. Try to be clear - use upper case letters for SURNAMES. List females by maiden name.
- An effective query looks like this:
- Looking for information on the descendants of Alex O'CONNOR b abt. 1860 in Some Co., State. He was the oldest son of Thomas O'CONNOR and Sally FITZGERALD of Ireland, possibly Co Kerry. He married Mary GREANEY in 1885 in Another Co., State and were likely the parents of John, James, Mary, Catherine, Bridget, Patrick, Johanna. They were Catholic.
Also researching the MARTIN, MURPHY, HEFFRON, MORIARTY related families.
This query mentions a time frame, localities, and related surnames and family given
names (maybe family pattern clue). The families mentioned aren't just other families
in a tree but are interrelated with this primary surname, which will help cut down
Queries can start off like this:
Wanting information regarding...
Looking for descendants of...
Seeking information on...
Wishing to communicate with others researching...
Need parents (wife, husband, children, etc.) of...
Lastly- read it back to yourself ... is it clear?
Do not send spam e-mail messages to mailing lists.
Do not send attachments (attached files) of any sort to mailing lists. This
includes URL shortcuts, v-cards, GEDCOM files, zipped files, and any other
type of attachment. We request you send them to individuals on the list only with their permission.
Do not forward virus hoaxes or chain letters to mailing lists.
Do not use HTML or RTF (rich text format) in messages sent to mailing lists.
Do not send e-mail messages to mailing lists for which the topic is
Do not flame [criticize] other members of the mailing list.
Do be nice to one another.
Are You Experiencing a Problem?
Have you used the correct address for the mailing list subscribe/unsubscribe commands? (IRL-Kerryfirstname.lastname@example.org or IRL-Kerry-D@rootsweb.com)
Did you remember to turn OFF your signature file (if you use one) with the subscribe/unsubscribe command message?
Did you include any extra words or text within the body of the message?
- Did you check to be sure that the word "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" was
- Are you already subscribed to this mailing list?
- Have you changed your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and/or e-mail address recently?
- Is the "Reply Tov" address absolutely correct in your e-mail software program's
options menu? If not, the subscription will not work correctly. The "Reply
To" address should be exactly the same as your e-mail address in order
to ensure return e-mail and successful mailing list commands.